Updated 10/10/16 v.5
A. Team Uniforms; see General Rules.
1) Women’s 28.5” regulation size ball.
2) Both teams will provide a game ball. Referee will determine which ball to use.
II. PLAYING RULES
A. Unless otherwise specified, the game will be played under the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) basketball rules.
B. Length of Game
1) All games will be 20 minutes running time per half with the exception of the last 15 seconds of the first half and the last two minutes of the 2nd half.
2) There will be a maximum 5 minutes between halves.
3) No shot clock.
4) Each player must play a minimum 5 consecutive minutes per half.
C. Back Court
1) Ten second rule applies.
2) Once a team is in full control of the ball in the backcourt (referee’s judgment), no pressing or guarding any offensive player in the backcourt.
3) The offensive team must be allowed one full step into the frontcourt with complete control of the ball before he can be guarded
4) If such a violation occurs, the referee will issue a warning to the defensive team.
5) On the second violation, a technical foul may be assessed on the defensive team.
6) Time out in the backcourt
a) If a time out is called while in the backcourt, the 10-second back court count will resume from where it left off (when the ball is put back into play).
D. No 3 point field goal.
E. Stop Time
1) Last 15 seconds of the first half will be stop time.
2) At the 2 minute mark of the 2nd half, if the point differential is 10 pts. or less. Stop time will remain on for the remainder of the game regardless of point differential.
3) Free Throws
a) Clock will start when a player touches the ball on a missed free throw.
b) Clock starts when player touches the ball on the in-bound pass after a made free throw.
F. Time Outs
1) 3 Full Time outs
2) Time outs can only be called by a coach.
1) Bonus Fouls. 1 + 1 on the 7th team foul per half.
2) Double Bonus on the 10th team foul, automatic 2 free throws.
3) Offensive Foul- Counts as personal and team foul but non-shooting foul.
4) A technical foul is counted as a personal foul and a team foul.
5) Technical fouls assessed against player for a rule violation (such as an improper uniform) will be counted as a team technical not as a player technical for purpose of player disqualification or suspension.
6) Intentional and Flagrant Fouls are counted as personal fouls.
7) Flagrant fouls are also counted as team technical fouls.
a) The fouled player will receive two free throws, while all other players must stand behind the half-court line.
8) Intentional and Flagrant Fouls are defined as follows:
a) Intentional Foul – Contact away from the ball or when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball or a player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting. Intentional fouls may or may not be premeditated and are not based solely on the severity of the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent.
b) Flagrant Foul – Unnecessary or excessive contact against an opposing player with intent to harm the opponent in a violent or savage nature, or displays unacceptable conduct. The player who committed the foul will be ejected from the game and is subject to the same penalty as Fighting.
H. Mercy Rule
1) When the point spread reaches 25 points, the mercy rule shall go into effect. The scoreboard will be turned off in the 2nd half of the game. The official score will be entered as 1 to 0.
2) A warning will be given to any team exhibiting unsportsmanlike conduct during the remainder of the game. Examples of unsportsmanlike conduct include, but are not limited to, taunting, pressing, stalling, trash talking and fast breaks.
3) A 2nd violation will result in a technical foul against the coach and a one game suspension.
4) A 3rd violation will result in a forfeit of the game.
1) No more than 2 coaches allowed on the bench. One coach is allowed to stand, remaining coach must be seated. One coach must be over 18 years old.
III. Overtime Period
A. Games tied at the end of regulation time will be decided by a 2-minute overtime period. 2nd overtime will be sudden death.
i. Jump ball to start overtime period.
ii. Overtime will be played stop time.
iii. Each team will be allowed one time out. No carry over from regulation.
2) Sudden Death
i. Jump ball to start sudden death period.
ii. First score wins the game.
iii. No time outs.
IV. Free Throws
A. Free Throw Line
1) One step in front of regulation line.
2) Shooter may cross on follow through without the intent to gain rebound advantage.
V. Borrowing Players
A. MBL-3 thru JBU-8 may borrow 1 player from one division lower to make a 5-man team and avoid the forfeit.
B. MBL-3 thru JBU-8 teams that forfeit may borrow a same grade, same organization player to play a ‘Scrimmage Game’. Game is still entered into the League Standings as a loss to forfeiting team, forfeit fee still applies.
C. Borrowed player must be on the official roster of a team that is entered in the current CBO season being played.